Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Birthday United States of America

What are you doing for the fourth?
is a question a lot of people ask. My answer has almost always been nothing. We don't have a BBQ, and we don't friends or family that include us in their celebrations and we don't buy fireworks. Occasionally we have gone to see the city's display; we did the first year we moved here as we had arrived earlier that day and it seemed fitting. But for the most part we spend the weekend at home. Yet I don't feel we are really missing anything because today is not about all that to me. To me all that is like baking a cake and throwing myself a party for someone else' s birthday. To me this day is a time to reflect on the great vision of our forefathers in founding this country where freedom reigns. It is a time to thank God for the privilege of being in born in this country and praying for those who must face the harshness of living in countries where I would be considered wealthy and living for Christ means constant fear of imprisonment and or torture of themselves or family members.
Don't get me wrong,I don't have a problem with the other ways of celebrating this day. As I said I have participated in them as well. But I don't want them to be my focus.
I do hope for a safe and fun fourth for everyone, but I also hope for a time of thoughtful gratitude as well.

1 comment:

This Blog Is

Like any refugee, I long for a new home to call my own, but my "homeland" of depression has a strong hold and sometimes I find myself teetering on the, nay slipping down, the edge of that awful pit God has brought me out of.

This blog is a way for me to work on the discipline of writing, and to voice my thoughts on my life and experiences on my journey to better health; mentally, physically and spiritually