Sunday, August 10, 2014

But I Don't Like It That Way!

I often hear people complain about church. They have problems with the pastor; his messages are too long, too boring, not relevant. They have problems with the music; it's too loud, not loud enough, too contemporary, not contemporary enough, there are too many hymns, not enough hymns, the songs are unfamiliar, the songs are too familiar. They have problems with the way people dress: too casual, too dressy. The complaints go on and on. I have been guilty of some of these complaints myself, so don't think I am being self righteous here. Folks it is not about us. Your pastor prays a lot about the message he is to deliver and just because it wasn't what you needed to hear, someone needed to hear it. And the music is carefully planned to flow with the message and to glorify who? You? No - to GLORIFY GOD. You aren't there to rock out to a cool tune on the radio, you are not there to hear your favorite hymn. You are there to praise and worship the One True God. It saddens me to look around and see people standing stoically during songs with their mouths firmly closed. The excuse that one can't sing well doesn't work either. God doesn't ask you sing well, He just asks that you sing. Make a joyful noise - noise, not melody. God doesn't care what you sound like. Not knowing the song only works for a few moments in most cases. When I first started going to the church I attend now, I was totally lost when they sang. I could have just sat there like a lump on a log but instead I opened myself up to the Holy Spirit and He guided me through them. The sooner we get our selves out of the way the easier it is to experience church in a positive and blessed way. See the thing is that though we are there for God, when we are obedient in worshiping Him in spite of our likes and dislikes, He brings peace and blessing to us in the midst of it. When we stop looking at other people and look to Jesus He gives us love for all our church family, no matter how they dress or talk. God is faithful like that. When will we start being faithful to Him? Grace and peace CAC

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Blog Is

Like any refugee, I long for a new home to call my own, but my "homeland" of depression has a strong hold and sometimes I find myself teetering on the, nay slipping down, the edge of that awful pit God has brought me out of.

This blog is a way for me to work on the discipline of writing, and to voice my thoughts on my life and experiences on my journey to better health; mentally, physically and spiritually