Thursday, August 21, 2014

Shake Rattle And Sift

Finally I'm back; sorry it has taken me so long. There has been some issues with computer sharing in the household.
I have a lot of things rattling around in this mess of mind I have. I will try to sort some of them out here. Firstly I have been thinking a lot about the situations in Iraq and Syria.
I am dumbfounded at the disparity of the news coverage compared to Ferguson MO. James Wright Foley's execution finally caused the attention to come back to what is going on in Iraq. I can't imagine the pain Mr. Foley's family is going through right now but neither can I imagine the choice all those family's in Iraq are having to make just because they don't believe the same way a small group of people think they should. I am also puzzled as to why many Christians weren't saying much of anything about Iraq until they heard about other Christian's dying for their faith. How is it worse that Christians were beheaded and such those who are Muslim etc.? It seems to me it would be worse the other way around because at least the Christians have real hope beyond this life. I guess I am just plain disgusted with human beings right now.
Let me preface my next rant thusly; I try really hard not to be racist; I don't judge people based on what they look like or where they come from but prejudice is; I believe an inescapable human condition.
The situation in Ferguson has finally turned a corner. Last night was; at last, peaceful. I just find it odd and irksome that what made the difference seems to be that Attorney General Eric Holder came to town. Mr. Holder is black. I just have a hard time believing that a white Attorney General coming to town would have had the same impact as Mr. Holder's did. I also saw a poll on the news that 60% of black people approve of President Obama's response to what was going on in Ferguson. Really? He refused to come back from his vacation in an act of support until a white journalist was beheaded in Iraq; but that's okay. Why? Because he is a black president? Why was it okay for Obama to basically ignore what was going on in Ferguson; yet so a previous administration to be vilified for the failings of FEMA during hurricane Katrina? Why do people rage about inequality and then partake of it with the same mouth? Why is it okay to vote for someone on the basis of race alone then cry about racism?
See I think all of these things and have all these questions I am afraid to say or ask for fear that I will be criticized for these thoughts. I just don't understand the way people think. I know I can't understand what it is like to be black; to have the color of my skin be who and what I am before anything else. But does that mean I have no right to say anything? Does that mean I have no right to an opinion?
See, the way I see what happened in Ferguson wasn't " look what those black people are doing" it was " look what those angry people are doing". My concerns were for the families trapped in their homes and businesses that were unable to open or damaged or both. My fear was that the violence would begat more violence; that the anger would give birth to more anger. My fears were realized all to truly and my heart weeps for this country that our communities can so easily be divided and torn apart. In the depths of my being I mourn for the Michael Browns of this world. But even more my heart mourns each man, woman and child whose lives were brutally taken from them by ISIS. My heart is torn in pieces over the parents who had to watch their children starve to spare them torture and beheading. I can't fathom how a world can sit by and so little in the face of these things. How often we as humans bemoan what is wrong with the world rather than reaching out to do something about the things we can change.
I shake my head in sorrow and confusion as these thoughts rattle around in my head and in writing I am trying to sift out all the prejudice and hurt. I cry out to God for patience with my fellow man and especially my brothers and sisters in Christ when I see a lack of empathy for those who don't know the redeeming power of grace through Jesus Christ. My spirit bleeds a little each time I see a professing Christian judge another's sin rather than lift them up. My spirit mourns when I replay in my head things I have said in anger rather than understanding. How easily we spout Bible verses to condemn but forget the words of our Savior that He did not come into the world to condemn it but to save it. I cry out to God to help me see through His eyes and I as I do all the stuff I wrote above no longer matters.
I hope I have not offended any one; it is not my intention.
Grace and peace CAC

1 comment:

  1. Hello Carol -

    There is so much I would want to say about this post if I felt I had the license to leave an inordinately lengthy note with somebody whom I don't really know. But I don't, so I will try to be uncharacteristically concise. I tend to be wordy, however, so if that does occur, please overlook undue length in favor of due content, if you can.

    First off, it is *extremely* refreshing to hear you say these words. This piece was written so naturally, and so convincingly, I felt as though I could "hear" you say the words, even as I read them -- even though I have never heard your voice. Secondly, although your statement is impeccably logical in nature, it also involves a passion that seems to build as the piece goes on. I am not a very good reader, but midway through this piece I was riveted. Finally, at the end, when you are appealing to God and to our fellow believers, I actually felt tears forming in my eyes.

    Your daughter had mentioned that the blog was written in the form of a single long paragraph, inferring that this was problematical. I disagree. You had a complex point to make, and you made it clearly. It was a single point, and you used a single paragraph. Had you divided this piece into grammatically correct paragraphs, it would have lost its flow, and therefore its power. Had it been divided into four or five paragraphs at the logical topic points, I might not have picked up the passion of the piece - only the logic. But both elements are integral to the piece, as to all great writing.

    Now, so far I have only spoken of your style, and not of its content. As far as content, I happen to agree with you, which is also refreshing. It's rare that I encounter a Christian in today's America who thinks for themselves. Since 9/11/01 it seems that a paranoia has infiltrated the body of Christ in America. When 9/11 happened, I was the only person in my church who prayed for the salvation of the terrorists. People criticized me for not condemning them. But I am not God to condemn. And they (whoever "they" are) are not Satan, the enemy. Because I was praying for them, people began to suspect I was "on their side." This is paranoia. It is of course ant-biblical and anti-love. God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, of love, and of a sound mind. In my opinion, you needn't fear offending people. Jesus, after all, offended a whole lot of people, did He not?

    Okay. I realize this wasn't exactly "concise," but truthfully I am somewhat nervous in leaving you this comment, because I am such a close friend of your amazing daughter, and yet I have never thought about introducing myself to you -- not for any reason that I am aware of, however. I'm not a very social person, and when I meet someone, I don't feel an urge to meet their family or friends.

    However (and I hope you don't mind my saying this), in the "voice" I heard, which is the voice of your writing, and in some of the sentiments - and especially the "logic" - I "heard" Danielle a little bit too. There *is* a family resemblance, and I find such things endearing. I've not many people whose very sensible, original ideas have not been soiled by the artificial constructs of a pseudo-Christian society. You and she both are among them, obviously.

    I'll close now. Thank you for reading my comment. I'm going to follow you, and I'll look forward to "hearing" more of your words. I hope I have not over-spoken, or spoken out of line.

    In His Grace,

    Andy



    ReplyDelete

This Blog Is

Like any refugee, I long for a new home to call my own, but my "homeland" of depression has a strong hold and sometimes I find myself teetering on the, nay slipping down, the edge of that awful pit God has brought me out of.

This blog is a way for me to work on the discipline of writing, and to voice my thoughts on my life and experiences on my journey to better health; mentally, physically and spiritually