Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Time Marches On

My baby turns 24 today! I can't believe it! Where has the time gone? Wasn't it just a only 5 or 6 years ago that I held her in my arms in the hospital and gazed into her bright blue eyes filled with knowing? Just a few years ago that she was getting into the pantry and taking cocoa mix and cereal and dumping them in her brother's closet? Surely it has not been over 20 years since I was thinking one of us would not survive another year of this!
Had I known this day would come this fast, would I have treasured those days of testing her limits and pushing the line? How many times would I have said I love you instead of NO or DON'T? How many times would I have just let the housework go and instead sit and hold her in my arms, smelling the sweetness of her baby skin and feeling her heart beat next to mine?
Those of you who have small children, I implore you, treasure each moment, let them make messes, snuggle all you can, because you will turn around one day and see them graduating high school, blink and they have graduated college or moved across the country for a great career opportunity. Close your eyes and the phone will wake you to hear I'm getting married. Hold on to them, for tomorrow, they will insist you let them go.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETPEA;
I am so very humbled to have been given the privilege of being your mother and proud to call you my roommate and friend. I pray you will be as blessed as you have blessed me; for I could not wish you anything greater than this. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Blog Is

Like any refugee, I long for a new home to call my own, but my "homeland" of depression has a strong hold and sometimes I find myself teetering on the, nay slipping down, the edge of that awful pit God has brought me out of.

This blog is a way for me to work on the discipline of writing, and to voice my thoughts on my life and experiences on my journey to better health; mentally, physically and spiritually