Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Did you vote? I did!

I have chosen to exercise my right as as citizen of the United States of America to vote my conscience. I am praying that every one else does the same.
There is a lot of smack talk going on out there and sadly much of it is coming from Christians. The message at our church this week was a continuation of I Corinthians chapter 13, explaining what love is. It was not and has never been a message on voting, candidates in the elections, issues, or anything else related to politics; as I believe is best for all churches. Your pastor has no business using the pulpit to proclaim anything other than God's Word. Does this mean I think Christians need to stay out of politics? It most certainly does not; it does mean I think we need to first understand that politics is a world issue, not an issue of the Kingdom of Heaven of which we are first and foremost citizens of. We have a kind of dual citizenship, and our citizenship in Heaven takes precedence over our citizenship in the world.
If you live in the United States you have the right to vote and with that right you have an obligation to use it. But you also have a power above any political figure to answer to, to ask for help and to count on in all times, hard, good or otherwise. I like the way John Piper puts it in the latter part of this video. He says some sort of controversial things in the beginning, but for the most part he is spot on.
. God is sovereign, and I'm sorry if you are one those people who would say this means God elected Hitler. God doesn't elect people, but His Word tells us in Romans 13 that He appoints the authorities that exist. Do I claim to understand why someone like Hitler was allowed to gain power and murder countless innocent people? No I do not understand, but I can find nothing in God's Word that tells me I must understand. I am only told to know He is God, and believe.
So vote, relax and trust that God is in control no matter who wins the election and lets refrain from rude comments and accusations to those whom we find didn't vote the same way we did, for as it was pointed out to me recently love is not rude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Blog Is

Like any refugee, I long for a new home to call my own, but my "homeland" of depression has a strong hold and sometimes I find myself teetering on the, nay slipping down, the edge of that awful pit God has brought me out of.

This blog is a way for me to work on the discipline of writing, and to voice my thoughts on my life and experiences on my journey to better health; mentally, physically and spiritually