Thursday, February 5, 2009

Walls of Silence


It is said one's job as a parent is never done and I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. But one can't parent a child forever either and therein is the conundrum.
When one's child becomes an adult and one has not raised them as in the best of ways most of their lives; one is faced with a lot of drama.
I find myself, as a parent who made a ton of mistakes, with seeing my daughter suffer for those mistakes. Not just that, but since my failures(along with those of her father's) have instilled in her a deep lack of trust; she also will not talk to me about her struggles. She doesn't believe that there is nothing she could do that would make me stop loving her, and she doesn't believe I can help her. Her belief is founded in how she saw me most of her childhood. I have been profoundly depressed most of her life and when she needed me most, I was often too caught up in my own pain to notice, and now I fear the same thing is happening again. I have been going through an especially hard time with depression for over 4 months and I have just been struck with this odd feeling the last few days that something has happened, that I have once again missed some pivotal time event or struggle in her life. I see her hurting and I hurt for her, but we pass through our days in silence, pretending our respective walls of pain are merely small hills or bumps.
Trust is an issue for me as well, though I deal express it differently. I tend to give everyone trust just so I watch them break that trust proving to myself that I was right all along and no one can be trusted. My daughter on the other hand holds on to trust like it was precious jewels that she must guard with her life. She would rather die than relinquish it.
How can we learn to stop being the people our past has made us and learn to be the people God knows we can be?

2 comments:

  1. CarolAnn,
    You are such a beautiful person! God has been so gracious to you! You must believe that He loves you and He is there to rescue you! I see such a beautiful spirit within you! I am so thankful for you and that you are a part of my life. I pray for you and Danielle regularly! I can not imagine or understand your life, but I know that God sees it all and wants to rescue you from the pit! Ask him to do it! I am asking for you as I pray this evening!!

    Nicole pyrtles3@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I clicked on you because you put the Bible as one of your interests. I live in Olmito, Tx but I'm from Michigan. I long to get back there. I wrote a book and it was just published "Look What God Did For Our Marriage/A redemptive tale" I'm promoting it. It's a true story about the awful marriage that my hubby and I had. Jesus came in and cleaned it up. Of course, that was after a lot of suffering. Not His fault. My blog is http://www.imgodsfavorite.blogspot.com/ I believe in miracles as in that we lived one. Jesus really does love me. He loves you, too. Trust Him. Really trust Him, just like a child does when they take your hand to cross a busy street. They never question your judgement nor the strength of your grip.

    ReplyDelete

This Blog Is

Like any refugee, I long for a new home to call my own, but my "homeland" of depression has a strong hold and sometimes I find myself teetering on the, nay slipping down, the edge of that awful pit God has brought me out of.

This blog is a way for me to work on the discipline of writing, and to voice my thoughts on my life and experiences on my journey to better health; mentally, physically and spiritually