Thursday, August 14, 2008

AM Television Makes Me....

so freaking mad sometimes! I usually don't watch AM TV and this is why; I always see ( hear) something that just ticks me off. Today I somehow ended up stumbling across the Rachel Ray show. Today's topic was centered around the gal who played the wife on King of Queens, a sitcom a few years ago Leah Remini. I will leave you a link in a little bit. First I have to tell you what I think. The deal is this woman and her husband have a beautiful and intelligent 3 and half year old daughter that still takes a bottle, sleeps with them and keeps them up all night giving her first, milk, then another 4-6 bottles of water, and change her diapers. Yes diapers, that they need to keep their bed dry from all the liquid this kid is consuming. The excuse offered for this state of affairs is that they cannot stand to say no to her, it hurts Leah's heart to hear her baby cry. OH MY STARS! What does she think being a parent is all about?
I know people who have had just this sort of upbringing; their parents loved them into useless, lazy, manipulative people. I italicize loved because this is not real love people! It is not a healthy love. A parent has to love a child enough to say no, to see them hurt a little now to save them huge hurts later on. They have to love them enough to realize that they saying yes to them all the time will bring them nothing but misery when they get out into the world and realize not everyone will give them everything they want. Get real Leah! Love hurts! Love takes sacrifice, guts and determination.
I cannot begin to address every issue brought up in the show, see it for yourself and let me know what you think.
One thing that gets me is she talks about all the advice she has rejected and brings up that some have told her the child is manipulating her and Leah is like " Manipulating me to do what love her?" I practically yelled at the television.
"Manipulating you to get what she wants, cultivating a very unpleasant trait that if not dealt with now will follow her into adulthood and make her unable to have healthy relationships. If this is what you want for her, by all means give her a bottle until she graduates high school! Most people want to see their child learn more intelligent ways of getting their needs met, and try to teach children they don't always get what they want.
Why don't people understand the job of a parent is not to be liked, not to give all a child's mind can conceive of wanting, or be best buddies.
My daughter has heard this all of her life; the job of a parent is to raise up productive members of society. For Christians it is try to raise godly productive member of society.
OK I'm done, thanks for the use of the soapbox

1 comment:

This Blog Is

Like any refugee, I long for a new home to call my own, but my "homeland" of depression has a strong hold and sometimes I find myself teetering on the, nay slipping down, the edge of that awful pit God has brought me out of.

This blog is a way for me to work on the discipline of writing, and to voice my thoughts on my life and experiences on my journey to better health; mentally, physically and spiritually