Saturday, August 23, 2008

Rebuttals upon rebuttals

I feel like I stirred a hornets nest by what I said in my earlier post . Just to be clear I must say I do not disagree at all with what my daughter said. I understand where she is coming from and agree with her. What this guy said, though erroneous, was none the less what she needed to hear to make her see she had chosen the better thing. ( remember the talking donkey?)
It is so easy to get caught up in doing Christian activities, to be drawn into events with fellow believers and forget what is important; our relationship with Christ and showing that relationship to the lost. We can't very well reach the lost if we are always hanging out with believers. Community within the church is becoming, it seems, more important than reaching out to our community in general. If you ask the average Christian to come to lets say a Creative Memories Party (which, by the say I am having Monday in case I missed getting an invitation to you) 90% will tell you they are too busy. Too busy doing what? Bible Studies, Small Group meetings, preparation for SG Meetings, helping out in the Nursery, cleaning the church building and grounds, planning a baby shower, organizing a retreat, and of course family obligations. All good things every last one. I am just using the party as an example but it could be lots of things. Maybe someone calls to ask one to go out to lunch but doesn't want to say on the phone how heavy her heart is and what she really needs is someone to talk with and pray with? You see how it is? What is being neglected while so many are so very busy? Who is being neglected? This is part of what my daughter struggles against, sees the danger in and wants to avoid. We also tend to neglect our own prayer life and study of the Word when we are so caught up in all those good things we are doing.
I am reminded as I write of the parable of the Wedding Feast; veres 5 especially. They went their own ways, perhaps with important things begging their attention?
Hope this quiets the hornets, blowing smoke works on bees anyway. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Blog Is

Like any refugee, I long for a new home to call my own, but my "homeland" of depression has a strong hold and sometimes I find myself teetering on the, nay slipping down, the edge of that awful pit God has brought me out of.

This blog is a way for me to work on the discipline of writing, and to voice my thoughts on my life and experiences on my journey to better health; mentally, physically and spiritually