Sunday, November 6, 2016

30 Days Of Gratitude Day 5

I am grateful for my brothers. Joe and Mike.  Joe went to Heaven almost 2 years ago.  For many many years we were estranged.  I never had anything to do with any of my brothers but the oldest one, Mike because of horrible things that happened when we were kids that my memory hadn't sorted out well.  But I knew for sure was that Mike was not involved.  About 14 years ago another brother died without my ever having talked to him about it all; giving him a chance to admit it or anything. That put me in tail spin that along with medication changes put me in the hospital psych ward.
I didn't want that to happen again when Joe was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer and given only weeks to live.  So I went to see him and as soon as I saw him I knew he didn't hurt me.  We had a wonderful visit; a time I will treasure in my heart for the rest of my life.  He was gone less than a month later.  
I got to spend more time with Mike than I had in  while as well and we all had some much needed time of recalling and letting go of the past.  Out mother had committed suicide when we were young and there were other things.  We commiserated, cried and hugged.  
I am grateful God for my brothers.  What we went through together was painful but we survived; Joe had a saying - Conway Strong and we are and will always be.  I'll see you again Joe.  I love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Blog Is

Like any refugee, I long for a new home to call my own, but my "homeland" of depression has a strong hold and sometimes I find myself teetering on the, nay slipping down, the edge of that awful pit God has brought me out of.

This blog is a way for me to work on the discipline of writing, and to voice my thoughts on my life and experiences on my journey to better health; mentally, physically and spiritually